Tony Aspler C.M.
Tony Aspler has been writing about wine for over 35 years. He was the wine columnist for The Toronto Star for 21 years and has authored 15 books on wine and food, including The Wine Atlas of Canada, Vintage Canada, The Wine Lover's Companion, The Wine Lover Cooks, Travels With My Corkscrew, and Tony Aspler's Cellar Book. Tony's latest book is The Five Minute Wine Book.
In December 2007, Tony was awarded the Order of Canada.
In 2012 Tony was the first Canadian to be inducted into the New York Media Wine Writers Hall of Fame. In that year Tony was awarded the Queen's Jubilee Medal.
In February 2001, Tony co-founded a charitable foundation with Arlene Willis, Grapes for Humanity, which raises money through the wine community for the victims of landmines and children with disabilities.
Tony is an accomplished wine educator and lecturer. He averages 40 personal appearances a year at seminars and lectures.
Tony is the panel chair for Canadian wines at the annual Decanter World Wine Awards. He is the creator of the annual Ontario Wine Awards competition, an honorary governor of Cuvée and a director of the Independent Wine & Spirit Trust. He is also a director of The Canadian Wine Library. At the Niagara Grape & Wine Festival 2000, Tony was presented with the "Royal Bank Business Citizen of the Year" Award.
Tony writes for a number of international wine magazines, including Wine Spectator, Decanter, Meininger's Wine Business International, Quench, Post City Magazines, Lexpert, On the Go, Fine Wine & Liquor (China) and www.decanter.com. He is the Canadian contributor to Jancis Robinson's Oxford Companion to Wine and to Oz Clarke's annual Pocket Wine Guide.
You can hear Tony on 680News – Friday, Saturday and Sunday – talking about wine.
Tony also writes fiction. He is the author of nine novels. His latest series is a collection of wine murder mysteries featuring the itinerant wine writer/detective Ezra Brant: Blood Is Thicker Than Beaujolais, The Beast of Barbaresco and Death On The Douro (published by Warwick Publishing). He is currently working on Nightmare In Napa Valley.
Contact Tony Aspler Wine Services at
Tony Aspler Wine Services
Phone: 416-488-8597 e-mail:
1402 – 900 Mount Pleasant Road
Tony Aspler's Books:
- The Streets of Askelon – 1972 (Secker & Warburg)
- One of My Marionettes – 1974 (Secker & Warburg)
- Chain Reaction (with Gordon Pape) – 1979 (McClelland & Stewart)
The Scorpion Sanction (with Gordon Pape) – 1980 (McClelland & Stewart)
The Music Wars (with Gordon Pape) – 1982 (McClelland & Stewart)
Titanic – 1989 (Doubleday)
- Blood Is Thicker than Beaujolais – 1994 (Headline)
- The Beast of Barbaresco – 1996 (Headline)
- Death on the Douro – 1997 (Headline)
- Vintage Canada (3 editions) – 1982 (Prentice-Hall)
- International Guide to Wine (with John C. Lindsay) – 1986 (Prentice-Hall)
- The Wine Lover's Companion (3 Editions) – 1991 (McGraw Hill-Ryerson)
- Cellar & Silver (with Rose Murray) – 1993 (McGraw Hill-Ryerson)
- The Dinner Companion (with Jacques Marie) – 1993 (McGraw Hill-Ryerson)
- Aligoté to Zinfandel – 1994 (McGraw Hill-Ryerson)
- Guide to New World Wines – 1996 (McGraw Hill-Ryerson)
- Travels With My Corkscrew – 1997 (McGraw Hill-Ryerson)
- A Taste for Wine (a book on tape) – 1999
- The Wine Lover Cooks (with Kathleen Sloan) – 1999 (MacMillan)
- Canadian Wine for Dummies – 2003 (Wiley)
- The Chef's Table (with Lucy Waverman and James Chatto) – 2000 (Random House)
- The Wine Atlas of Canada – 2006 (Random House)
- The Definitive Canadian Wine Cheese Cookbook (with Gurth Pretty) – 2007 (Whitecap)
- Tony Aspler's Cellar Book – 2009 (Random House)
- North American Wine Routes (with Dan Burger) – 2010 (Readers Digest)
- Canadian Wineries (with photographer Jean-François Bergeron) – 2013 (Firefly)
- The Five Minute Wine Book – 2014 (e-book)