Tony Aspler C.M.
Tony Aspler has been writing about wine for over 30 years. He was the wine columnist for The Toronto Star for 21 years and has authored sixteen books on wine and food, including The Wine Atlas of Canada, Vintage Canada, The Wine Lover's Companion, The Wine Lover Cooks and Travels With My Corkscrew. Tony's latest book is Tony Aspler's Cellar Book.
In December 2007, Tony was awarded the Order of Canada.
In February 2001, Tony co-founded a charitable foundation with Arlene Willis, Grapes for Humanity, which raises money through the wine community for the victims of landmines and children with disabilities.
Tony is an accomplished wine educator and lecturer. He averages 40–50 personal appearances a year at seminars and lectures.
Tony is the creator of the annual Ontario Wine Awards competition, an honorary governor of Cuvée and a director of the Independent Wine & Spirit Trust. He is also a director of The Canadian Wine Library. At the Niagara Grape & Wine Festival 2000, Tony was presented with the "Royal Bank Business Citizen of the Year" Award.
Tony writes for a number of international wine magazines, including Wine Spectator, Meininger's Wine Business International, Tidings, Post City Magazines, Lexpert, Fine Wine & Liquor (China) and www.decanter.com. He is the Canadian contributor to Tom Stevenson's annual Wine Report and to Oz Clarke's annual Pocket Wine Guide. You can hear Tony on 680News – Friday, Saturday and Sunday – talking about wine.
Tony also writes fiction. He is the author of nine novels. His latest series is a collection of wine murder mysteries featuring the itinerant wine writer/detective Ezra Brant: Blood Is Thicker Than Beaujolais, The Beast of Barbaresco and Death On The Douro (published by Warwick Publishing). He is currently working on Nightmare In Napa Valley.
Contact Tony Aspler Wine Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Streets of Askelon
- One of My Marionettes
- Chain Reaction (with Gordon Pape)
The Scorpion Sanction (with Gordon Pape)
The Music Wars (with Gordon Pape)
- Blood Is Thicker than Beaujolais
- The Beast of Barbaresco
- Death on the Douro
- International Guide to Wine (with John C. Lindsay)
- Vintage Canada (3 editions)
- The Wine Lover's Companion
- Aligoté To Zinfandel
- Guide to New World Wines
- The Dinner Companion (with Jacques Marie)
- Cellar & Silver (with Rose Murray)
- The Wine Lover Cooks (with Kathleen Sloan)
- Canadian Wine for Dummies
- Travels With My Corkscrew
- A Taste for Wine (a book on tape)
- The Chef's Table (with Lucy Waverman and James Chatto)
- The Wine Atlas of Canada
- The Definitive Canadian Wine Cheese Cookbook (with Gurth Pretty)
- Tony Aspler's Cellar Book
- The Five Minute Wine Book (ebook)