Tender Loving Care Month
by Sheila Swerling-Puritt
I have decided to make this January Tender Loving Care month. In any other normal January, I would be making hot drinks to warm folks up après ski or to enjoy while hanging out watching the children skate. This winter in the northeastern part of the country we haven't needed warming up, at least not on the days that the mercury rose to 70° Fahrenheit (21°C) in the Big Apple and passed 50° Fahrenheit (10°C) in Toronto. I didn't mind the heat, but all I have to show for it now is a nasty cold that someone decided to share with me.
If you're also doing more sneezing than schussing this year, you would do well to enjoy a few of my new favourite companions. These concoctions won't wipe out your local virus, but they will hydrate you, provide a little nutrition and help you ignore that stuffy head while you snuggle down with lots of good books to read.
Ron's Tea Toddy
- 1 premium orange spiced tea bag
- 6 oz. boiling water
- 1 oz. Martell VSOP Cognac
- ½ oz. Grand Marnier Liqueur
- Place tea bag in large mug.
- Pour boiling water over tea bag.
- Cover. Let steep for 35 minutes.
- Remove tea bag.
- Add cognac and liqueur.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
Hot Buttered Rum
- 2 oz. Appleton Estate V/X Jamaican Rum
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 clove
- 68 oz. hot hard apple cider
- ½1 tsp. lavender honey
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- Garnish: 1 thin lemon slice
- In a saucepan, bring cider, honey, clove, cinnamon to a boil.
- Remove clove and cinnamon stick.
- Pour rum into bottom of a warmed mug.
- Add lemon juice.
- Add hot cider.
- Float butter on top and allow to melt.
- Garnish with lemon slice.
So you shared your cold with someone, so you might compensate and share this delicious coffee with them as well!
Café Brûlot (makes 2 servings)
- 3 lemon twists
- 3 orange twists
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1½ oz. brandy
- 1 oz. Curaçao
- 1½ cups strong, hot strong coffee
- Place citrus twists, cloves, cinnamon, brandy and Curaçao in a nonreactive large saucepan over low heat. Cook until warm.
- Carefully ignite the liquid with a match and allow it to flame for about 10 seconds.
- Pour in the hot coffee and stir well until the flames subside.
- Divide the mixture between 2 warmed mugs.
For more information, you can contact Sheila at email@example.com.