A Wine Lover's Diary, part 361: A Quiet Week at Home (September 26, 2011)
Monday, September 19: Deborah picked me up at the airport at 1 pm. I had been travelling for 36 hours. Craving pasta.
Tuesday, September 20: Spent the day catching up on emails and getting work about the Geddy Lee/Alex Lifeson trip to Huff Estate for Grapes for Humanity's fund-raiser there. Apparently it was a great success and Michael Potter's food was amazing. Geddy and Alex also donated Rush memorabilia for auctioning off on eBay. Getting emails from Rush fans in the US wanting to buy stuff direct.
Wednesday, September 21: Wrote my column for Post City Magazines. A tasting of wines this evening at home.
- Stoney Ridge Simply White 2009 (Niagara Peninsula; 92% Chardonnay, 8% Sauvignon Blanc, $13.95):
Pale straw with a green tint; leafy, green plum and apple nose; crisply dry with green apple and green plum flavours and grapefruit rind flavours; well balanced and lingering on the palate. Well made. (89)
- Gaston & Larsen Prospect Winery Council's Punch Bowl Sauvignon Blanc 2010 (Okanagan Valley):
Pale straw colour; minerally, peach pit nose; well extracted peachy fruit; more Pinot Blanc in style than Sauvignon with a light spritz, touch of grassiness in the lemony finish. (87)
- Gaston & Larsen Prospect Winery Ogopogo's Lair Pinot Grigio 2010 (Okanagan Valley):
Very pale colour; minerally nose of citrus rind; generous mouth feel, touch of residual sugar with a peachy flavour and a floral note. Soft and easy drinking. (88)
- Gaston & Larsen Prospect Winery Birch Canoe Pinot Blanc 2010 (Okanagan Valley):
Medium straw colour; minerally, peachy nose; soft mouth feel, peach and pineapple flavours with a defining thread of acidity. (89)
- G. Marquis Chardonnay The Silver Line 2008 (Niagara-on-the-Lake; $14.99 at Ottawa Duty Free store):
Light straw colour; mature, oaky nose of winter apples; full on the palate with a baked apple and lemon flavours; fresh acidity kicks in to a caramel finish. Good length. (87)
- Château de Fontenelles Cuvée Renaissance 2007 (Corbières – 35% Syrah, 35% Grenache, Vieilles Vignes Carignan, 30% Mourvèdre; Vintages #148692, $18.95):
Dense ruby-purple colour; black raspberries, vanilla oak with a mineral-herbal note; candied raspberry flavour, full-bodied and well structured with ripe tannins. (90)
Thursday, September 22: Wrote my "On the Go" column. Went to Future Shop to look at tablets, but with the disastrous drop of the stock market decided that this wasn't the time to time to spend money. When I mentioned this to my son, he said, "That's a very mature decision, Dad. I'm proud of you." Out of the mouths of babes. Wrote up my 680News wine reviews.
Friday, September 23: First day of autumn. A Vintages release tasting today. Otherwise, a mercifully quiet week.