Winners of the 2016 Lieutenant Governor's Award for Excellence in Ontario Wines announced
Toronto, July 15, 2016. The Office of the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, in partnership with the Ontario Wine Awards, is pleased to announce the winners of the 2016 Lieutenant Governor's Award for Excellence in Ontario Wines. The Lieutenant Governor will present the awards at a ceremony and wine-tasting reception in the viceregal suite at Queen's Park on a date to be announced in due course.
Winners of the 2016 Lieutenant Governor's Award
- Henry of Pelham Cuvée Catharine Brut Rosé Sparkling Wine (Non-Vintage)
- 2014 Thirty Bench Small Lot Riesling Wood Post Vineyard
- 2014 Trius Showcase Riesling Ghost Creek Vineyard
- 2013 Exultet Estates Chardonnay "The Blessed"
- 2013 Tawse Winery Tintern Road Pinot Noir
- 2013 Southbrook Vineyards Estate Grown Small Lot Cabernet Franc
- 2012 Peller Estates AP Signature Series Cabernet Franc
- 2012 Jackson-Triggs Grand Reserve Meritage
- 2012 Creekside Estate Broken Press Syrah Reserve
- 2014 Inniskillin Vidal Sparkling Icewine
- 2013 Tawse Riesling Icewine
- 2014 Jackson-Triggs Reserve Gewurztraminer Icewine
These 12 wines have been recognized for their overall excellence, regardless of vintage or varietal, from an intake of 473 wines from 71 Ontario wineries.
Changes to the Lieutenant Governor's Award
In partnership with the Ontario Wine Awards, the Lieutenant Governor's Office is pleased to announce the following changes to the Lieutenant Governor's Award for Excellence in Ontario Wines:
- The Lieutenant Governor's Award has been incorporated into the annual Ontario Wine Awards as a "top-tier" award, with the highest-scoring wines in each year's varietal categories competing against each other. The 12 winners of the 2016 Lieutenant Governor's Award have been selected from among the Ontario Wine Awards' 27 varietal winners.
- Drawing upon its expertise, the Ontario Wine Awards selects the judging panel, which includes student judges from Canadian Food and Wine Institute at Niagara College.
- The Lieutenant Governor's Award continues to receive the support of the Grape Growers of Ontario, the Wine Council of Ontario, and the Winery and Grower Alliance of Ontario.
Follow LGLizDowdeswell on Facebook and Twitter
Office of the Lieutenant Governor
Ontario Wine Awards