Watermelon, Part 1 (April 5, 2017)
We know warm weather is coming, and with it that icon of summer, watermelon! Watermelon has grown up, from a summertime backyard thirst quencher to the dinner table in a variety of delicious recipes!
Fun to eat anywhere; we bet as a kid (like us) you had watermelon seed spitting contests in the back yard on a hot day... but today prefer to relax in the shade enjoying this tasty, tangy and satisfying salad combination! Perfect with a grilled burger or some juicy BBQ ribs! Seconds, please!
Makes 6 servings
Note: This is a favourite combination of what we like; however, all these measurements are approximate – you will want to judge amounts and ingredients as you mix!
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- Generous 1/3 cup sliced red onion, cut lengthwise
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 1¼ cup cubed English cucumber
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Sprinkle of sea salt to taste
- In a small bowl, pour lime juice over red onions. Allow to marinate while assembling the salad.
- Gently combine the watermelon, cucumber, feta cheese, and cilantro in a large bowl. Season with black pepper. Toss watermelon salad with marinated onions and season with sea salt just before serving.
Tony's wine recommendation:
Prosecco; Chilean Sauvignon Blanc
Download this article in printable form as an Adobe Acrobat PDF (114 kB)
Find more recipes with the recipe indexes by title and type
Happily enjoyed by Helen Hatton and Ron Morris.