Wine Gifts For the Wine Lover In Your Life (December 17, 2003)
...for the 12 Days of Christmas (ready for drinking or reading):
- Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte (special price for Christmas: $39.95).
Tasty, toasty champagne at a great price.
- Dievole Sangiovese 1999 in magnum (Vintages, $99.95). Chianti at its
- Meukow XO Cognac (Vintages, $69.95, 375 mL). Pure magic in the
- The Vineyard Handbook: Appellations, Maps & Statistics, by
Patrick W. Fegan (Chicago Wine School call 312-266-9463
$60 US includes handling and postage). An indispensable reference book
for the true wine aficionado.
- Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Port (Vintages, $33.75). Delicious
and different from bottle-aged ports
- Bowmore Islay Malt Whisky Aged 17 Years (Vintages, $87.95). Peaty,
smoky, iodine flavour that goes on and on.
- Johnny Walker Family Edition four 200 mL bottlings of Johnny
Walker Blue, Gold, Red and Black label blends ($89.95). A great way
to taste the range of JW scotches.
- Wine Report 2004, by Tom Stevenson what David Lawrason
called "The CNN of the Wine Books" in Wine Access magazine
(published by Darling Kindersley, London, $23). Confession: I wrote
the Canadian section.
- Inferno Pepper Pot Vodka Caesar Kit the red pepper-infused
vodka with Mott's Clamato Juice and rimmer. For the Bloody Caesar fan
- Emilio Lustau East India Solera (Vintages, $15.95, 375 mL). A
sweet sherry of great distinction at a bargain price.
- Vineland Estates Vidal Icewine 2001 (Vintages, $41.95). Rich, ripe,
- Robert Mondavi Merlot 1999 Carneros District, Napa Valley (Vintages,
$49.55). This is what Napa Merlot should taste like.
Or... you could give a gift subscription to
this website, which gives reviews of over 5,000 wines (200 new
ones every month).
And for a stocking stuffer: my Pocket Wine Companion ($3.95 from
Indigo or major LCBO stores).