Blackened Pork and Strawberry Salad (June 6, 2017)
Our good friends at Foodland Ontario just sent us this lovely seasonal salad featuring fresh strawberries. Pick your own at a local farm, or pick some up at a farmer's market; they're never better than right now!
This super main dish salad will quickly become a favourite with your family or guests! Zesty pork tenderloin, crisp colourful greens and vegetables are topped with a tangy dressing to make a dish you'll serve often in the next couple of months.
For more information and great recipes, go to www.foodlandontario.ca
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Chilling Time: 1 hour
Grilling Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) Ontario honey
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) each smoked paprika, salt, pepper, dried oregano and thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 Ontario pork tenderloin (1 lb/500 g)
4 cups (1 L) Ontario strawberries, halved
- 3½ cups (875 mL) torn Ontario romaine lettuce
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) Ontario mixed salad greens
- 1 Ontario greenhouse sweet yellow pepper, cut in strips
- 1 Ontario carrot, julienned
- Half Ontario greenhouse cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- Quarter Ontario red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh Ontario basil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted sliced almonds
In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, 2 Tbsp (25 mL) basil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Spice Rub: In small bowl, combine paprika, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper and garlic. Rub oil on pork. Rub spice mixture all over. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Salad: Place strawberries on greased grill pan over medium heat. Grill with lid open until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Increase heat to medium-high. Place pork on greased grill. Grill, covered, turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part registers 160°F (71°C), 12 to 15 minutes. Remove to cutting board. Tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes. Thinly slice.
On individual plates, arrange romaine, salad greens, yellow pepper, carrot, cucumber, onion and basil. Add strawberries and pork. Drizzle with dressing or serve dressing on the side. Sprinkle with almonds.
PROTEIN: 34 grams
FAT: 29 grams
CARBOHYDRATE: 35 grams
FIBRE: 7 grams
SODIUM: 750 mg
Tony's beverage suggestion:
Riesling from Ontario (off-dry) or Germany Riesling (Spaetlese); Viognier
We wish to thank Foodland Ontario for permission to publish this recipe.
Download this article in printable form as an Adobe Acrobat PDF (274 kB)
Find more recipes with the recipe indexes by title and type
Happily enjoyed by Helen Hatton and Ron Morris.