A Wine Lover's Diary, Part 667: Moving House (October 3, 2017)
Martindale Pond, Port Dalhousie
Monday, September 25th: Wrote up a month's worth of wine reviews for my 680 NEWS spot. Began packing up my office for the big move to St. Catharines on Saturday. In the afternoon went downtown to meet Iris Di Cicco, US Brand Manager for Cesari winery in Veneto. Tasted the following wines:
- Cesari Mara Valpolicella Ripasso 2014: Dense purple colour; spicy, peppery, plum nose; medium to full-bodied, dry, firm, high-toned, plum flavour with lively acidity and grainy tannins. (88)
- Cesari Mara Valpolicella Ripasso 2015: Deep ruby colour; cherry bouquet with dusty note; medium-bodied, dry, fresher than the 2014, light and lively on the palate. (88.5)
- Cesari Mara Valpolicella Ripasso "Bosan" 2013: Deep ruby colour; pencil lead, black cherry nose with a herbaceous note; medium to full-bodied, fresh and lively, sour cherry flavour with an herbaceous note, lively acidity and well-integrated oak. (89)
- Cesari Amarone della Valpolicella 2012: Deep ruby colour; herbal, black cherry, raisiny nose; full-bodied, richly extracted, dry, velvety mouth-feel; firmly structured with grainy tannins. (89)
- Cesari "Il Bosco" Amarone 2010: Deep ruby colour; earthy, rose petal and cherry bouquet with graphite and herbal notes; full-bodied, rich and full on the palate with flavours of cherry and dark chocolate; ripe tannins. (90)
- Cesari "Bosan" Amarone Classico Riserva 2008: Deep ruby colour; high-toned, raisiny, dried cherries and licorice nose; full-bodied, rich, well-balanced, spicy, dark chocolate, cherry and plum flavour with a firm tannic finish. (91)
Tuesday, September 26th: Recorded my 680 NEWS reviews. My producer, Stewart Hammill showed me the new studios where I'll be recording next month. For dinner, with steak, Quails' Gate Old Vines Foch 2015: Dense purple colour; cedary, vanilla oak and spicy blackberry nose; medium-bodied, dry, herbal-floral blackberry and sandalwood flavours; creamy mouth-feel with lively acidity and a bitter chocolate note on the finish. (89)
Wednesday, September 27th: Finally got around to tasting a series of Joie Farm wines.
- Joie Farm Gamay 2015 (Naramata Bench, BC – $25.90): ruby colour; earthy, cherry nose; medium-bodied, dry, spicy cherry and red plum flavours backed by lively acidity. Fresh and fruity. (89)
- Joie Farm PTG 2015 (Naramata Bench, BC – $25.90; 70% Pinot Noir/30% Gamay): ruby colour; cherry pit nose with a candied raspberry note; medium-bodied, dry, lovely mouth-feel; cherry, red plum with a licorice note and a floral grace note. (90)
- Joie Farm Pinot Noir 2015 (Naramata Bench, BC – $25.90): medium ruby colour; savoury raspberry nose with an oak note on the nose; medium-bodied, dry, firmly structured, plum and cherry flavours with ripe tannins. (88.5)
- Joie Farm "En Famille" Reserve Pinot Noir 2015 (Plein de Vie Vineyard, Naramata Bench, BC – $39.90): medium ruby colour; earthy, cherry with oak spice on the nose, tobacco and floral top notes; medium to full-bodied, dry, cherry and currant flavours; velvety mouth-feel, richly extracted, firmly structured and well-balanced with resolved tannins. (92)
- Joie Farm "En Famille" Reserve Chardonnay 2015 (Con Vida Vineyard, Skaha Bluff, Penticton, BC – $29.90): bright straw colour; minerally, apple with a forest floor note on the nose, well integrated oak; full-bodied, ripe pear and apple flavours backed by spicy oak, buttery but dry and well-balanced with vanilla oak notes. Lovely mouth-feel with a long, Meyer lemon finish and a note of toasty oak. (91)
- Joie Farm "En Famille" Riesling 2015 (Old Block St. Hubertus Vineyard, Kelowna, BC – $27.90): bright, pale straw colour; minerally, lime and grapefruit nose; medium-bodied, off-dry, honey, lime and grapefruit flavours that linger on the palate; nicely balanced. (89)
- Joie Farm Reserve Gewürztraminer "En Famille" 2015 (Naramata, BC – $28.90): bright, medium straw colour; rose water and lychee nose; full-bodied, just off-dry, opulent, exotic cardamom, Turkish Delight flavour, well-balanced, elegant and lingering. The best Gewurz I've tasted from BC. (93)
- Joie Farm Brut "Quotidien" 2016 (Okanagan Valley – Riesling and Chardonnay – Charmat process): white gold colour; biscuit, apple nose; medium-bodied, dry, apple, ginger flavour; good length. (89)
- Joie Farm Plein de Vie Brut 2016 (Okanagan Valley – 45% Pinot Meunier/36% Chardonnay/18% Pinot Noir): deep pink colour; candied raspberry nose; medium-bodied, dry, fruity, raspberry and red plum flavours; easy drinking. (88.5)
Thursday, September 28th: A meeting with the lawyer to hand over keys of the condo and pick up house keys and garage door remote for the new house. A day of packing. Three guys from the movers arrived with boxes. When they left there was still much to be done. Broke for dinner with a bottle of Vivanco Crianza 2012 (Rioja): Deep ruby in colour; a nose of sandalwood, spicy red licorice with cedary notes; sweet plum and currant flavours; ripe and well-balanced. (90)
Friday, September 29th: A day of packing, packing, packing.
Our last Toronto condo sunset
Saturday, September 30th: Moving day. Drove Deborah and Pinot the Wonderdog down to St. Catharines to move in to our new house. Pinot was very confused, wanting to get back into the car to drive back to Toronto. A period of adjustment for all of us.