Answers to Wine Quiz #5 (November 16, 2004)
- Which of the following grapes is not part of a red Bordeaux blend?
Gamay that's the grape of Beaujolais
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Cabernet Franc
- Petit Verdot
- What are the four wine appellations of British Columbia?
Okanagan Valley, Similkameen Valley, Fraser Valley, Vancouver Island
- What does Blanc de Noirs mean on a French wine label?
A white wine made from only black grapes, usually referring to champagne
- On what day is Beaujolais Nouveau released?
Beaujolais Nouveau is released annually on the third Thursday of
- What do Baga, Bagaceira and Bairrada have in common?
They are all Portuguese wine terms: Baga is a grape, Bairrada is
a region and Bagaceira is the Portuguese equivalent of grappa
- What is the still wine made in the Champagne region called?
- What does chaptalisation do to wine?
Chapatalisation increases the alcohol in fermenting wine by the addition
- What do egg whites, milk, fish bladders and diatomaceous earth have
to do with wine?
They have all been used as fining agents to clarify wine before bottling
- What is a wine thief?
A glass or metal pipette used to extract wine from the barrel for
- What is a Teinturier grape?
A grape, like Alicante Bouchet, with deeply coloured juice that is
added to fermenting wine to give more colour