Tony Aspler Blind Tasting Award 2006
The seventh annual blind tasting competition for members of the Ontario Imported Wine, Beer & Spirits Association was held as have been all previous six at The Wine Establishment at Berkeley Castle on The Esplanade. Participants had to answer the following questions about six different wines:
- Grape Variety
In order of serving, the wines were:
- Reichsrat von Buhl Forster Bischofsgarten Riesling Kabinett 2003 (Pfalz)
- Chateau St. Jean Robert Young Vineyard Chardonnay 1999 (Alexander Valley)
- Southbrook Winery Cabernet Franc 2002 (Ontario)
- Penascal Tempranillo 2000 (Castilla Y Leon)
- Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zinfandel 2003 (Sonoma)
- Delheim Pinotage 2003 (Stellenbosch)
Not an easy bunch of wines to identify.
The winner was Bruce Maclean of Philippe Dandurand Wines. Bruce, incidentally, won the very first competition I put on (to celebrate my 25 years of wine writing in 2000).